The John Poole House is the oldest building in Poolesville. The log structure was built in 1793 by John Poole, Jr., served as a trading post for traveling merchants and families from the surrounding farms and plantations, and was the U. S. Post Office “Poole’s Store, Maryland” from 1810. The General Store Museum furnishings are based on authenticated period inventories. The Museum Shop features antiques, collectibles, gifts, notepaper, pottery, toys, local books, and local art.
The John Poole House and Museum Shop are open to visitors by appointment, and on other days by chance. If you are planning to visit, please call ahead on that day to make sure it is open: 301-407-0777..
The John Poole House and surrounding grounds may be leased for parties, or other events. Please email any inquiries email@example.com.
The E. L. Stock, Jr. Memorial Arboretum is located at the John Poole House and Store Museum. Surrounding the log and frame cottage is a collection of trees, bushes, herbs, and perennials indigenous to western Montgomery County before 1850. The arboretum is now undergoing a restoration.
Edward L. Stock, Jr. designed the garden and was the major planter. Stock graduated from Cornell University in 1929 and came home to Bethesda to found Stock Brothers, Inc., nursery and landscaping company. Ed’s daughter, Mollie Stock served as docent at the John Poole House and curator for the Arboretum.
For more information or to volunteer, please call 301-407-0777.